Monday, November 22, 2010

I Could Stare at Your Photos All Day Long

After doing research for a class earlier this semester, I came across the fantastical fashion photographer of Tim Walker. Don’t even ask me how I wasn’t aware of this British-born editorial master until a couple of months ago, because I really don’t know. What I do know is that Walker is an amazing artist whose work is clearly defined by its top-notch whimsy and magical charm. He has seriously mastered the art of creating playful images, and his work has a tendency to take me away from my reality and into a much-welcomed fantasy world full of theatrical characters and fanciful settings.
Some of you may remember one of Walker’s most famous shoots in which he collaborated with Tim Burton to create a multi-page spread of darkly fantastic photos for the October 2009 issue of Harper’s Bazaar. Well, like I mentioned before, I hadn’t heard of Walker until recently so I didn’t get to experience the awe-inspiring photos of this shoot when it was first published.
I’m currently taking a styling class and for this semester’s midterm we had to create an idea for an editorial photo shoot. We had to come up with an inspiration, location, hair and makeup styling, and even the models we would use. Ironically enough, I chose Edward Scissorhands, the character, and Tim Walker as the inspiration for my shoot. Unbeknownst to me at the time, Tim Walker had already done his own shoot with a full-on Edward Scissorhands character in one photo! I was completely blown away when I saw this photo for the first time, and although my idea had already played out in someone else’s head, I was still thrilled to see my own inspiration come to life in a real editorial. 
  Tim Walker for Harper's Bazaar October 2009


Currently Listening: As I Lay Dying "Illusions" 

5 comments:

  1. These pictures are amazing ~ <3
    xxx
    Gi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love the last picture it's amazing.

    Love,
    A, J, and S
    http://unconfinedaspirations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! The rest of the shoot is breathtaking, but then again, so are all of Tim Walker's shoots ;)

    ❤ Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pictures, esp the Edward Scissorhands!

    http://jaymarie.onsugar.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love him!! XX

    Becca
    http://dansmonboudoir.com

    ReplyDelete